Home Business Aviation MMIA: NDLEA arrests 101 suspected traffickers in 2019

MMIA: NDLEA arrests 101 suspected traffickers in 2019

313
0

…as drug traffickers increase

Favour Gbemisola

The renewed efforts by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency NDLEA, to bring to the barest drug trafficking in and out of the country through the nation’s airport has recorded a huge success at the Murtala Mohammad International airport, MMIA as it arrested 101 suspected drug traffickers, 87 males and 14 females with a total seizures/cases of 76 in 2019

At a news conference in Lagos, the NDLEA Commander, Garba Ahmadu said in terms of percentage, 86.14 per cent is attributed to the males while the remaining 13.86 per cent representing the females.

He said there was an increase in the number of arrest in 2019 compared to 2018 of 93 persons.

“The record of arrest in the year under review indicates that there is an increase in the number of persons arrested from 93 persons last year (2018) to 101 persons this year showing 8.6 per cent increase”.

Also, the number of seizures/cases recorded in the year under review has also increased to 76 seizures from 73 in the previous year, showing an increase of 4.11 per cent”.

Summary of the drug seized shown that cocaine accounted for 9.03 per cent of total drugs seized, heroin 5.75 per cent, cannabis Sativa 44.71 per cent, methamphetamine 24.93 per cent, ephedrine 7.45 per cent and other psychotropic substances 8.13 per cent.

“Cocaine 34.109, Heroin 21.72, cannabis Sativa 168.922, methamphetamine 94.18, Ephedrine 28.14, psychotropic substances 31.99kg ( Tramadol and Diazepam) 30.450”.

The total kilograms of drug seized according to Ahmadu was 377.801 as against 5377.125kg recorded in 2018 show an annual decrease of 92.97 per cent.

“There mode of concealment include bag and baggage packing, ingestion and anal insertion, baggage was 80 per cent while the others were 14 per cent”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here