Victim Laments Traffic Robbers’ Attacks On Gbagada-Oworoshonki Bridge

0
Gun men

Incessant attacks by a group of boys who pretended to be beggars and street hawkers to rob and harm unsuspecting victims, especially drivers, of their valuables along the Oworonshoki/Gbagada bridge, Lagos State, has increased panic and concerns among the users of the  road.

A victim, Dr Dayo Adediran, who raised the alarm on Friday, she said that she had had three encounters with a particular six-man gang on the bridge, the latest being Thursday evening.

The veterinary doctor said on one of the occasions, a member of the ferocious gang yanked off her gold earring, leaving her bleeding.

She explained that the gang’s modus operandi seems to be targeting lone female drivers, whom they approach, pretending to be beggars.

She said, “There are some young robbers who parade as beggars, hawkers and street urchins on Oworonshoki/Gbagada Bridge.  They are always there in the traffic. I have been robbed twice at the same spot coming from work and on one occasion, they attacked me and tore my ears in a bid to remove my gold earrings.

“What happened was that I rolled down slightly to give him money since he asked for money and was hitting my glass aggressively, I thought he was just an aggressive beggar.

“I tried to roll up the glass back despite my bleeding ears and moved the car immediately the traffic eased a bit. They were trying to force my glass down further and showing their arms and also trying to open my door and asking for my phones.”

Adediran added that the traffic robbers were always armed with various weapons, including small knives, pepper spray among others, to threaten their victims during operations.

“Let me also note that these boys carry pepper sprays and also act like they want to clean your windscreen at times.

“They still tried attacking us in traffic yesterday (Thursday) evening when I was coming with my husband from a function. They are armed robbers with small knives and sprays and all. Please help raise the awareness and save lives as it’s happening every single day now on that bridge towards the tail end to descend into Gbagada. They will be there this evening once there is traffic. “Yesterday was my third experience. Thank God for husband that struggled. He was too shocked to believe his eyes because I had told him and we saw it again.”

She further noted that the situation forced her to stop driving to her workplace since the robbers more often than not target lone women driving private vehicles.

She further narrated that, “They usually pounce more on nice cars with lone women driving. That’s what I observed because I have been taking Uber to work and back and they don’t come for the Uber, although I see them. Uber is expensive for me but I am more scared of robbery. I was confident yesterday only because husband was there. And he really struggled because they were insisting he rolled down and surrounded the car. So, the attack is not because my windows are wound down. They come for you directly and threaten you to roll down by banging hard on your glass and threatening to break through.

“It’s the same gang because by now I can identify one or two of them. They are young boys of about four to six members now. Initially, it’s one guy who approaches to beg and starts to get violent once he is near the window glass. They are street boys obviously increasing in number and getting more confident by the day.”

When contacted for reaction on the matter, the spokesperson for the State Police Command, Benjamin Hundeyin, told City Round on Friday that he had earlier received a complaint about the development, adding that the Divisional Police Officer of the area had been detailed to investigate the complaint.

He said, “I received that complaint too. While looking into it, the DPO covering that area has been put to task concerning the complaint.”

About The Author

Spread the love

2027: Lagosians Unite For Tinubu As Lawmaker Declares Bid Thousands of Eti-Osa residents in Lagos at the weekend declared their support for President Bola Tinubu, governorship hopeful Obafemi Hamzat and a member of the State House of Assembly, Noheem Adams ahead of the forthcoming elections. Those who attended the event included the Central Working Committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Eti-Osa headed by Engr. Murphy Adetoro, a member of the Governance Advisory Council (GAC). Others are the chairmen of the three local government areas of Eti-Osa constituency 1, APC ward chairmen, traditional rulers and the Lekki Residents Association who had all earlier adopted Adams, a majority leader of the Lagos Assembly, as the party’s consensus in the area. Speaking at the event, the Central Working Committee declared ‘no vacancy’ at the presidency and the House of Assembly while maintaining its support for Hamzat as Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s successor. They declared that unlike in 2023, Tinubu will win Lagos in 2027 as the people have become more resolute in their support for the president. Commending the crowd at the rally, Adetoro said the Central Working Committee of APC in Eti-Osa axis and all the LG chairmen in the constituency had written to the party endorsing Noheem Adams “Thus, on the day of the primaries, we will all be behind him. What we are doing today is a rehearsal of what is going to happen on the day of the primary election,” he said. “We are publicly declaring our support for President Tinubu whose achievements speak volumes. We have also started working to ensure the victory of Engr. Obafemi Hamzat who will take over from our active governor. “Some days ago, we all wrote to the APC leadership in Lagos endorsing our son, Noheem Adams, as consensus. “We are again confirming our decision that he remains our Recognised candidate. We have seen what he has done at the House of Assembly and we can attest to the fact that he has done wonders, beyond our expectations,” he said. Another leader and former lawmaker, Yahaya Dosunmu, expressed hope that the next Speaker would emerge from the constituency. “If we have number one and two outside, we are supposed to have three. “I have been attending campaigns since I was 30, but this level of support is exceptional and confirmation that you truly love Noheem and are ready to continue to support him at the primary and general elections,” he said. On his part, Alhaji Sulyman Bello, President of the Lekki Estates Residents and Stakeholders Association (LERSA), said the lawmaker enjoys the support of the entire residents of the constituency. According to him, Adams has become a rallying point for residents in Eti-Osa. “What many do not understand is that Noheem Adams is not just for Eti-Osa but the entire Lagos State. There was an estate that was to be demolished. He stood for us and ensured that the estate was not demolished. “With his position at the House, it is dangerous to send a fresh member. By God’s special grace, we want to see him beyond the seat of Majority Leader,” he declared before the crowd while confirming an earlier letter the association sent to the APC endorsing him. Meanwhile, the Arewa group in the constituency said they had mobilised 1500 members from the three councils in the area to support the lawmaker. In his remark, Adams thanked the leaders, traditional rulers and constituents for their support describing the endorsement as a challenge to do more when re-elected. He also thanked Tinubu for opening up the constituency with a coastal road adding that this feat has earned the President “massive love from the people of my area.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *