Lagos Cholera Outbreak Death Toll  Surges from 15 to 21- Official 

0
IMG-20231028-WA0009

Lagos state

The Lagos State Government says deaths from the state’s cholera outbreak have increased from 15 to 21, while infections also increased to 401 from 350.

The Special Adviser to the Lagos State Governor on Health, Kemi Ogunyemi, said the government anticipated the rise in cases following the Eid-el-Kabir celebration, which drew large gatherings.

Ms Ogunyemi said this in an update released by Tunbosun Ogunbanwo, Director, Public Affairs in the state’s Ministry of Health, on Thursday in Lagos.

She said the cases increased to 401 across Lagos, with Lagos Island, Kosofe, and Eti Osa recording the highest numbers of infections.

Ms Ogunyemi, however, noted that suspected cases are subsiding across local government areas (LGAs), particularly in previously affected LGAs, due to the state government’s interventions and surveillance efforts.

She gave the update on the outbreak after meeting with members of the Lagos State Public Health Emergency Operations Centre (PHEOC).

“The Ministry of Health, in collaboration with the State Ministry of Environment and its agency, the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA), continues to collect samples of water sources, food, and beverages to identify the source of contamination.

“We have also intensified our surveillance activities in communities, particularly in affected local government areas, to address the situation head-on.

“We are also working with the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education as well as the Ministry of Tertiary Education to ensure all precautions are taken in our schools to protect children and scholars as they return.

“Residents must, however, remain vigilant, practice good hand hygiene, and participate in community sanitation activities to stop the spread of cholera,” she said.

‘What citizens must do’

Ms Ogunyemi advised citizens to seek medical attention immediately if they experience watery diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain, general malaise and fever.

She added that the state government provides treatment for cholera free of charge at all public health facilities.

Ms Ogunyemi reiterated the state government’s commitment to ensuring that residents of Lagos receive quality and affordable health care.

Support from international bodies

The Special Adviser commended local, national, and international partners—including UNICEF, WHO, NCDC, NIMR, Red Cross, and others—for their support in combating the outbreak.

“Appreciation is also extended to the dedicated team of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, lab scientists, environmental health officers, Water Corporation officers, surveillance officers, heads of agencies, members of PHEOC, and volunteers who are working around the clock to combat the disease and keep Lagos safe,” Ogunyemi said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that on 11 June, Lagos alerted residents that the state had recorded an excess report of severe gastroenteritis cases.

Outbreak

The state’s Commissioner for Health, Akin Abayomi, a professor, disclosed on 15 June that laboratory tests confirmed a cholera outbreak in the state.

He said the tests identified the strain as being highly aggressive and contagious, with the potential for widespread transmission.

Mr Abayomi disclosed that 350 suspected cases of cholera were reported in 29 wards across multiple LGAs in the state.

According to him, at the time, there were 17 confirmed cases and 15 fatalities attributed to severe dehydration caused by delayed presentation at health facilities.

Data from the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) showed that Nigeria recorded over 1,141 suspected and 65 confirmed cases of cholera, resulting in over 30 deaths from 1 January to 11 June in 30 states.

(NAN)

About The Author

Spread the love

2027: Lagosians Unite For Tinubu As Lawmaker Declares Bid Thousands of Eti-Osa residents in Lagos at the weekend declared their support for President Bola Tinubu, governorship hopeful Obafemi Hamzat and a member of the State House of Assembly, Noheem Adams ahead of the forthcoming elections. Those who attended the event included the Central Working Committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Eti-Osa headed by Engr. Murphy Adetoro, a member of the Governance Advisory Council (GAC). Others are the chairmen of the three local government areas of Eti-Osa constituency 1, APC ward chairmen, traditional rulers and the Lekki Residents Association who had all earlier adopted Adams, a majority leader of the Lagos Assembly, as the party’s consensus in the area. Speaking at the event, the Central Working Committee declared ‘no vacancy’ at the presidency and the House of Assembly while maintaining its support for Hamzat as Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s successor. They declared that unlike in 2023, Tinubu will win Lagos in 2027 as the people have become more resolute in their support for the president. Commending the crowd at the rally, Adetoro said the Central Working Committee of APC in Eti-Osa axis and all the LG chairmen in the constituency had written to the party endorsing Noheem Adams “Thus, on the day of the primaries, we will all be behind him. What we are doing today is a rehearsal of what is going to happen on the day of the primary election,” he said. “We are publicly declaring our support for President Tinubu whose achievements speak volumes. We have also started working to ensure the victory of Engr. Obafemi Hamzat who will take over from our active governor. “Some days ago, we all wrote to the APC leadership in Lagos endorsing our son, Noheem Adams, as consensus. “We are again confirming our decision that he remains our Recognised candidate. We have seen what he has done at the House of Assembly and we can attest to the fact that he has done wonders, beyond our expectations,” he said. Another leader and former lawmaker, Yahaya Dosunmu, expressed hope that the next Speaker would emerge from the constituency. “If we have number one and two outside, we are supposed to have three. “I have been attending campaigns since I was 30, but this level of support is exceptional and confirmation that you truly love Noheem and are ready to continue to support him at the primary and general elections,” he said. On his part, Alhaji Sulyman Bello, President of the Lekki Estates Residents and Stakeholders Association (LERSA), said the lawmaker enjoys the support of the entire residents of the constituency. According to him, Adams has become a rallying point for residents in Eti-Osa. “What many do not understand is that Noheem Adams is not just for Eti-Osa but the entire Lagos State. There was an estate that was to be demolished. He stood for us and ensured that the estate was not demolished. “With his position at the House, it is dangerous to send a fresh member. By God’s special grace, we want to see him beyond the seat of Majority Leader,” he declared before the crowd while confirming an earlier letter the association sent to the APC endorsing him. Meanwhile, the Arewa group in the constituency said they had mobilised 1500 members from the three councils in the area to support the lawmaker. In his remark, Adams thanked the leaders, traditional rulers and constituents for their support describing the endorsement as a challenge to do more when re-elected. He also thanked Tinubu for opening up the constituency with a coastal road adding that this feat has earned the President “massive love from the people of my area.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *